Welcome to the new and improved Virginia Offroad Sports! Please stick around and join us in becoming one of the #1 Online Communities for Offroad Hobbies such as Jeeping, Mudding, Dirt Bikes and more!

djsthe1

Welders....?

I'm looking to get a welder and would like peoples input on a type or kind. I can stick weld pretty well but would like to pick up on MIG welding. A MIG seems to be more versatile and probably better for tight spots like, cages, frames, etc. What do you guys use?

I use a Miller 212 220 volt. I can run .030 and .035 wire and its easy to change over between the 2.

Its kinda pricey I know but worth it if it your going to be doing alot of welding.

I had a smaller Lincoln MIG welder before this one that served me pretty well for years.

Alot of options out there, what are planning to use the welder for mostly?

Newwelder002.jpg

I would like to start or add on to my roll cage some, flat fenders, patching some frame spots, fabbing some of my own parts. Things along those lines.

http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=907312&gclid=CM-uwsqGr7MCFYl7Qgod4jwA6Q

Figure whats the thickest material you going to weld and buy one capable of a lil more. LOL

Check out the Miller 180 the 140 will do everything you have in mind now but when you get into armor bumpers etc your gonna want something that can do at least 1/4"

Online supplier like the one in the above link offer good pricing but I prefer buying local.

Go see the guys at Arcet they can even set you up with a demo so you can try out the model your interested in before you buy it.

Hope this helps ya man.

Later

Sean

Edited by Scrambled

I've got a Hobart 140 that I've had for close to 8yrs now, It's setup to run true mig, with a 75/25 Argon/CO2 shielding gas, and runs .024-.035 Wires. It can be found at most boxstores like Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, etc... It'll run upto 1/4". It's all depends on how much you plan to use it, and how deep your pockets are. It's served me well, but I primarily use it for body repair, and some mild-fabrication. Once I get to build my own shop, I'll be upgrading to a Miller.

P.S. Sean... he's in Maryland, so Arcet's out of the question unless he travels to a Northern VA location.

I do actually make it to Fredericksburg, its not far from where I am at but have never heard of this place. I will have to keep an eye out for that location next time I am in that area.

The 140 probably sounds better, I do plan on welding some 1/4 stuff but probably won't be using it all that much.

Arcet is a great place, we've spent a ton there at our local Roanoke Store... They sell quality, name brand products, and the staff have always been helpful.