Welcome to the new and improved Virginia Offroad Sports! Please stick around and join us in becoming one of the #1 Online Communities for Offroad Hobbies such as Jeeping, Mudding, Dirt Bikes and more!

YJeXtreme

My new addition - 1984 CJ7

I just traded the XJ tonight... Went oldschool & smaller...

1984 Jeep CJ7 Renegade

-112k orig miles

-Orig paint & interior

-Rebuilt 258, T176, Dana 300

-1pc rear shaft upgrade

-3.5" lift

-33s

-Factory hardtop & doors

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358827060.038027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358827078.829677.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358827110.207869.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358827048.427723.jpg

Edited by YJeXtreme

I'm not going to molest it.... Too damn of good shape for that... Going to get rid of the 17x10 alloys on it now & go back oldschool with white wagon style wheels... I have set of 5, need to find 4 tires that match the nice/newer 33x12.50r15 spare

You definitely traded up! In fact, I think you just made some of us "green" with envy!:harhar: I agree, don't do much to it......more than tasteful as is! Congrats! Can't tell by the picts, but if it needs carpet, I think I know someone who can help!:thumb:

Edited by jeepfam

I'm keeping the carpet out, i don't believe all CJs came with them, I'm pricing tires, the spare is a brandnew Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac... so will get 4 to match... Jeep does have some issues that need addressed

-Timing is slightly off, causing mild misfire...

-Carb choke linkage disconnected due to lost/missing connector during rebuild

-Needs rear seatbelts purchased/installed

-Fuel guage reads Full at any level (likely a broken signal wire being grounded out)

-Valve cover leaks (typical 258 problem)

-Repair Quarter-Half Dollar sized hole in the Driver's side front seatbelt support @ the floor

-Replace the few hoses that weren't replaced, and are cracking

-Order windshield channel for the Bestop Bikini top it has (matches nutmeg interior old school product w/ carrying case)

I could probably go on and on with what I plan to do, which will be a minor cosmetic resto, and run through the axles bearings/seals, etc... make sure everything is in working order & cleaned up.

I love it! I would only change one thing and that would be ditching the carb and going EFI, maybe the Holley kit. I hate carbs and I grew up driving them and fixing them.

Nice trade!

Meh... To be honest i don't mind carbs, i grew up driving with them until the last few years... If they are setup, tuned & maintained correctly they work great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358909836.426557.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358909856.616014.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358909868.206408.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358909885.043993.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358909908.522246.jpg

A carb is ok on the street. Put it on a hill or off camber and they suck. :thumbdown:

Nice jeep though:)

sent using super pulsar technology

nope stay carb. This thing rocks keep it originalish. Don't over complicate it, it's hammer simple keep it that way.

I've seen carb'd rigs climb the ledge etc. A properly tuned carb designed for off road would be fine in this thing for pretty much anywhere around here.

I'd put a weber carb on with one of these and rock it.

http://www.detoursusa.com/incline_eq.php

You'd have very few if ever stalling issues. Most carb issues off road are with the wrong carb or people that don't know how to adjust them.

I didn't even know that Mark made that! Sweet! Stay with the carb and get that!

Not to mention.....carb issues are much easier to address than fuel injection problems! My best friend had an '83 CJ-7. I called him today and told him what you got. Boy is MAJOR GREEN! Can't wait to see it live!

I agree, it's staying carbureted, I will not be using it for crawling, again it's too nice to screw up... I'll use it for some mild trail riding, The T-case drop is going to be removed, it needs new motor mounts, as with the drop and worn mounts the rear of the valve cover is almost sitting against the firewall. The carb is a weber, but again needs the choke assembly fixed, and timing reset. Right now it's running really rich. But so far, everything I've checked over in more detail is operational, all the lights work (including 4x4 indicator) Plan is to get it inspected friday. Transferred Tags & Insurance on it this morning.

Got the choke linkage hooked up to the electric choke mechanism today, was missing the small hairpin... Also after research and talking to Sean, learned with the Weber carb conversion that was installed, there should have been a Fuel pressure regulator installed also... Bought one, turned it down to 3.5psi and runs 10x better now. Still needs a fresh tuneup, fuel filter, oil change...

Also upon trying out the 4WD through my parent's field, learned will need to replace the locking hubs, as the driver's side won't engage, it just spins...

So, i finally have the jeep legal & on the road. Installed new Genuine Weber 32/36 Progressive & 4 new Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs in 33x12.50 thanks to Sean!

Plan is to do tie rod flip this weekend to help the horrible steering... Order new motor & trans mounts...

Still looking for XJ front driveshaft too!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363831510.781801.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363831533.753801.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363831549.381900.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363831566.527783.jpg

I've got a driveshaft from a '98 that Berglund gave me to fix the boot on the JK. It won't work for me so if it'll work for you, its yours. If you have the dimensions, I can compare them to see if it fits.

Mike, I sent you a text bro...

Updates... Was driving the jeep this evening with the wife and kids loaded up... Damn thing skipped time... Going to have it hauled to my shop tomorrow, and start tearing it apart... Will try to work on a detailed write up as well for Timing Overhaul.

Thanks Matt, it can be yours for the right offer :2thumbsup:

Going to start diagnostics testing this afternoon to make sure it wasn't the Ignition Module that crapped out on me... But i'm still pretty certain it skipped timing. I already have the parts sitting on the hold shelf for the repair if that's the case... Plus my motor mounts are in, so will be riding smooth again soon.

Got jeep tore apart... Timing did jump... I'm thinking it was off some to begin with...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364073095.144106.jpg

White paint showsthat it's 180* off

Very nice! If you are replacing the hubs, I would recommend going with the upgrade. The externals will eventually break.

http://www.swva4w.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=853&highlight=internal

Also, I have the perfect winch for the front of your prized CJ, a Belleview 5687. It works, and looks great, just needs two cable controls. Jon rebuilt it a few years ago. It has been sitting in my garage for 3 years. I have 5 winches and one Jeep. :rolleyes-1:

http://nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/rebuilt-belleview-winch.131596/

Thanks Josh! I'm going to stick with the outboard hubs, as i will not be wheeling this jeep often or hard... With 112k miles, 99% rust free tub & frame, original paint & visible Factory spotwelds in tub, its too niceto risk destroying.

I do wish my Jeep Fund wasn't depleted for the time being, as i'd love to have that winch!!

Thanks Matt, it can be yours for the right offer :2thumbsup:

I bet.

That's the same response i get from alot of people who have drooled over it recently!

Thanks Josh! I'm going to stick with the outboard hubs, as i will not be wheeling this jeep often or hard... With 112k miles, 99% rust free tub & frame, original paint & visible Factory spotwelds in tub, its too niceto risk destroying.

No worries, just offering advice. Mine broke on the beach in Ocracoke, of course they were 35 years old.

I do wish my Jeep Fund wasn't depleted for the time being, as i'd love to have that winch!!

It's yours if you want it. I want it out of my garage. We can work out a deal. I am will be in the Roanoke area Saturday afternoon.

Edited by jhowery
I suck at typing.

I'm doing the Ford TFI, aka "Team Rush" upgrade on the CJ tomorrow... the cap/rotor and wires need to be replaced, it's still running a bit rough and I can tell i'm getting a lot of cross-fire inside the cap. I will post more details including a couple sets of part #s for anyone else who may be interested with a CJ running the Motorcraft distributor setup... It's been covered ad-naseum on other forums, but I'd prefer to have it here as well!

So a good bit of bad news. When it skipped timing it bent atleast 4 of my exhaust valves... Cylinders 3-4 won't hold any compression. #2 leaks down also just not as quick as the others and #1 holds steady at 120psi...

Willbe pulling the head from my 79 until i can spare for a full head-job or a 4.0L head conversion...