Welcome:

Welcome to the new and improved Virginia Offroad Sports and Outdoors! Please stick around and help us in becoming one of the #1 Online Communities for Off Road and Outdoor Hobbies such as Jeeping, Mudding, Dirt Bikes, Fishing, Camping and more!

chris insull

New to the Site

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the add... Been around Jeeps my entire life, well, since I was 6 YO anyway! Currently own a '71 CJ, '94 YJ and a '00 XJ Limited. The CJ (bought new by my dad in Dec '70) and YJ are in storage (and operational!) in Va while I'm working in Japan and daily driving the RHD XJ. Hope to be back to the states this year and get back to the mountains and OBX beaches! 2143496670_CJYJXJ.thumb.JPG.fd8075fbdd3261269181296cd90fc172.JPG

Edited by chris insull
removed two pics
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chris insull said:

Thanks for the add... Been around Jeeps my entire life, well, since I was 6 YO anyway! Currently own a '71 CJ, '94 YJ and a '00 XJ Limited. The CJ (bought new by my dad in Dec '70) and YJ are in storage (and operational!) in Va while I'm working in Japan and daily driving the RHD XJ. Hope to be back to the states this year and get back to the mountains and OBX beaches! 2143496670_CJYJXJ.thumb.JPG.fd8075fbdd3261269181296cd90fc172.JPG

Welcome to the site Chris! That's awesome you've still got your dad's CJ5.  I've driven a RHD XJ once, my buddy and I did some maintenance on it for a local postal worker. What has you in Japan?

8 hours ago, YJeXtreme said:

Welcome to the site Chris! That's awesome you've still got your dad's CJ5.  I've driven a RHD XJ once, my buddy and I did some maintenance on it for a local postal worker. What has you in Japan?

Retired Navy turned into a second career in Contracting... Been in Japan since March 2019. Real good gig, but I'm hoping to get back to Va for good later this year. Still have my house in Chesapeake along with a shop with all the "stuff" I need to work MC's and Jeeps. I'm trying to work a shipment out with the XJ back to Va, but unfortunately the 2000 models are not on the "approved list". A great vehicle for what I use it as... camping, light off road exploring, beach access, snow driving, etc....  

The CJ is still my favorite, took my driving test in it in Wa back in '80... factory Buick V6, Warn OD, PS added by me in '98, 4.88 gears, 33" tires, full cage, solid body and frame, etc... The YJ needs some love... Body is solid, but typical rot in the frame needs handled soon after I return; but a great vehicle with HO 4.0, 3.73 gears, 33" tires and Auto.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:34 PM, chris insull said:

Retired Navy turned into a second career in Contracting... Been in Japan since March 2019. Real good gig, but I'm hoping to get back to Va for good later this year. Still have my house in Chesapeake along with a shop with all the "stuff" I need to work MC's and Jeeps. I'm trying to work a shipment out with the XJ back to Va, but unfortunately the 2000 models are not on the "approved list". A great vehicle for what I use it as... camping, light off road exploring, beach access, snow driving, etc....  

The CJ is still my favorite, took my driving test in it in Wa back in '80... factory Buick V6, Warn OD, PS added by me in '98, 4.88 gears, 33" tires, full cage, solid body and frame, etc... The YJ needs some love... Body is solid, but typical rot in the frame needs handled soon after I return; but a great vehicle with HO 4.0, 3.73 gears, 33" tires and Auto.

Awesome. Thanks for your service. I hate the whole "approved import list" mostly due to US emissions. I can't imagine it's that far off from the existing 00' XJ's in the states. I've got a 98 XJ I picked up in March for a daily ride, and a family camping/fishing rig. They're perfect for that bill. But like you, the CJ's are still one of my favorites. Again, welcome to the site! Things have been slow for awhile, but we're trying to grow!