Welcome:

Welcome to the new and improved Virginia Offroad Sports and Outdoors! Please stick around and help us in becoming one of the #1 Online Communities for Off Road and Outdoor Hobbies such as Jeeping, Mudding, Dirt Bikes, Fishing, Camping and more!

rangerover

New from NY

Hi Everyone,

I've officially have been in Virginia for a week now and trying to become more involved with the local off roading clubs. I'm originally from Rochester and wheeled with the Fingerlakes4x4 club

Now, in the Herndon area, and still trying to get adjusted, I need a place to wheel! It's been a week of searching and there looks to be a lot of fun trails in the area that I want to explore... and I'm excited to be living so close to Big Dogs Offroad as well.

I drive a 1990 land rover range rover which doubles as both my daily driver and off road rig.

winter_storm1.jpg

Welcome to VA & the site! When you get time you should start a build thread & detail more on the Rover!

Thanks! And I'll have to start one this week - It's a fun, work in progress. that seems to have a mentality of "Work hard, break harder".

Thanks! And I'll have to start one this week - It's a fun, work in progress. that seems to have a mentality of "Work hard, break harder".

That sounds about right! But atleast when something breaks you found the weak point!

Then you sell it all and get atvs and dirt bikes.

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people "break" their rigs, you beat/bent the livin hell out of yours LOL!

Weak spots... the biggest being NY winters. Besides the usual maintenance and wear and tear, I get to play "replace body parts". The joys of an aluminum outer shell and the finest of British steel holding it all together. Combine that with the boatloads of salt used and you get one rusty rover.

So out of curiosity, where are the more popular places to wheel (besides big dogs)? Lately, trying to find out more about potts mountain has consumed my days. I saw this thread, http://www.vaoffroadsports.com/forum/showthread.php/2041-Potts-Mountain-Jeep-Trail-delayed-opening-2013, but I haven't been able to find out too much more. A few videos here, a few old postings there, but nothing recent and not too much to really figure out what I need and how I get there.

Potts is the best place to wheel locally, but its not a one rig trail. Its currently closed until I think March/April, but keep an eye out here for potential runs. Not a good idea to try that one on your own. Besides Potts, there's Bobletts Gap and Broad Run, some private land (with permission only) and many mild forestry roads that are any rig ready and nice to just go ride and take in the view. I won't be heading anywhere until Feb sometime, but I'd be happy to show ya a few. Most are in the New Castle area.

Potts is the best place to wheel locally, but its not a one rig trail. Its currently closed until I think March/April, but keep an eye out here for potential runs. Not a good idea to try that one on your own. Besides Potts, there's Bobletts Gap and Broad Run, some private land (with permission only) and many mild forestry roads that are any rig ready and nice to just go ride and take in the view. I won't be heading anywhere until Feb sometime, but I'd be happy to show ya a few. Most are in the New Castle area.

Bobbletts is closed or closing last I heard. I have been unable to verify. Has anyone been up there lately?

I put together a local ride. It's going on feb 1st if you are interested. See link

http://vaoffroadsports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2141

I'm hoping to be able to go to this one. My rig is finally fixed and trail "dependable" again.

A few of us went up a few months ago. Haven't heard anything about it closing. The trail was in good shape, but we did see some old roofing materials dumped toward the trail head. Saw the Feb 1 run and was all set to go for it, but found out I gotta work at the hospital that whole weekend......nights and all till its done. Carilion puts alot of food on the table, so I tend to jump when they need me to.

I'm hoping to be able to go to this one. My rig is finally fixed and trail "dependable" again.

Hope you can make it. Just let me or Brandon know if you are coming so you can get directions

That looks like it will be a fun trip! Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for that one. I already made plans to be back in NY... Will have to catch the next one

Bobblet's is supposedly closed according to the ranger office in natural bridge which is over bobblet's... They said the road conditions were terrible... They said it was gated now... Can anyone verify?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk