12/9/18:
   Should you happen to have any troubles at all with registration, posting, photo uploads, etc... Please contact us via the Support Tab, or on our Facebook Page. Thank you for your continued support!

Welcome:
    Welcome to the new and improved Virginia Off Road Sports! Please stick around and join us in becoming one of the #1 Online Communities for Off Road Hobbies such as Jeeping, Mudding, Dirt Bikes and more!

Dewan

New to off roading

Hey how’s it going, my name is Dewan. I recently got an F150 and I wanted to get into off roading, but I not sure on how to get started or where to go. I live in the Northern VA area and was wondering does anyone know of any good starter trails I can tryout, or any good tips? Would much appreciate the help.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, Dewan said:

Hey how’s it going, my name is Dewan. I recently got an F150 and I wanted to get into off roading, but I not sure on how to get started or where to go. I live in the Northern VA area and was wondering does anyone know of any good starter trails I can tryout, or any good tips? Would much appreciate the help.

Welcome to the site Dewan! What kind of off roading are you wanting to get into? I'm not too familiar with trails in Northern VA Area, maybe @gr8dain could help. I know many public trails atleast in my area in Southwestern VA, are kind of tight for a full size truck. Something I can suggest, that's a bit old-school, but how I got started, was to buy an Offroad/Trail Atlas at the local book store specific to Virginia. Granted many trails are closed to vehicles, still great way to scout stuff out especially if you also enjoy hiking.

#1 Tip is to never go on any trail alone. Even if you know 100 people who said they've done it solo, I never recommend going alone. as what can go wrong will go wrong... I've received my fair share of late night calls asking for help to get off a mountain side due to a break down or getting stuck.

Hey Dewan. The closest public trails to Northern VA are in the GW National forest. Flagpole knob (by Harrisonburg) is a nice easy trail to get started. There are a few different trails around it to get up there and a few to get back down.

There is also Peter’s Mill a little further down.

There is a private camp ground/trail system in Gore VA (by Winchester) called The Cove. A local guy who runs a company called Big Dogs hosts events there. If you are going with a group of 10 rigs or more, you need to go through his company. If it is a smaller group, you can go without being part of one of his events.

There is also Chaos Offroad park. Look them up. They have a small trail sustem right over the WV border. But their shop is in Winchester.

• Like 1

I am in Ashburn, and take the dive up to Tremont, PA a couple of times a year to go to Rausch Creek Off Road park. They have some really nice trails from easy greens to “buggy only” reds/purples.

There is another park up there that I have not been to called AOAA. I hear good things about it.

Good luck and don’t tackle the trails alone. Always have at least one other off road vehicle with you. Just saying it in case you were unaware of that. In fact Raush Creek won’t let you go out alone. They will add you to another group or make you stay in the parking lot.

• Like 1