Did you test fit the lights before filling up or hoping for it to be right? Looking good either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I test fit it last night. The bucket for the light on the passenger side needed a slight trimming. No big deal. Chose to do than rather than take it apart and move the trans cooler toward the driver
  • Like 2

I wanted to get at least the front O2 sensor attached, so I took a gamble on ordered a heap pipe for a TJ. I hope this connects and clears the bell housing. I would think that it should. But we will see. I really need to either move the Jeep into the garage or have good weather this weekend.

dbdf04935f2660d9fa57c039bdde91e3.jpg

• Like 2

It was a pretty productive day. I installed the head pipe so that I could install the O2 sensor. That was when I discovered that TJs have the exhaust cross over to the passenger side. Oh well. Now I need to decide if I keep this head pipe or switch it out when I run the while exhaust.

I also installed the Tom Woods drive shafts. Then I started it up (bypassing the ASD again). I let it idle for a long time to get it up to temp and check for leaks. No leaks. So I ran the lights wiring again and installed the lights. When I tested them, they kind of worked. Oh and the horn works. So yay. The lights are a ground issue so I will deal with that. At least it is starting to look like a Jeep again.

Next for the easy tasks will be the winch and bumper.

602fda7b210330eae127a62c32cab3a5.jpg
4dc06f95a52226f0b46ab76e54b18d8a.jpg
f265d21bacb8d84683e5392107d0a1a8.jpg
1f2568f8b29144eb7fb1d14239890575.jpg
b6f4ffeca6ac60daa49f9a70535b1f9e.jpg
a9b82de34a2ceef60a283393b3ab5ede.jpg
18d10a2b63a7781372b321b01b38670a.jpg

• Like 2

Sigh. Today was a couple of steps forward and one step back. I mounted the winch and front bumper. Then I moved inside the cab to clean up some wiring. Things look better. I even got the power ports wired up and working. Then moved on to the radio. After wiring it up, it did not turn on. Hmmm. Tried to use the same circuit as the power ports, then I heard a pop and a sizzle. Now the power ports don’t work. Grrrr. So I walked away for the day.

17d095b6170c814b05f3b61dfd117583.jpg
a57f0617cda50e588c0abfed6c4e4208.jpg
824771955916d1257d5dcc2bd31b2e17.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like the radio may have shorted since the jeep's been apart? Any chance moisture got in over the last few months? Hope you figure it out. The Scrambler looking like a Jeep again!

Anything is possible. It has been down about 1.5 years now.

I am going to disconnect all wiring for the radio as well as the aux power ports and test them individually using direct connections to the battery. Just to make certain what is good or not.
  • Like 2

Found out that I have constant hot power to my IGNition circuit in the fuse block. Not supposed to be that way. I have reached out to Hotwire, who built my harness to see how that gets rectified. It may be back-feed that is tripping the ASD relay.

c19290101449c6f60d5f2e12dfddc0aa.jpg

11 hours ago, gr8dain said:

Found out that I have constant hot power to my IGNition circuit in the fuse block. Not supposed to be that way. I have reached out to Hotwire, who built my harness to see how that gets rectified. It may be back-feed that is tripping the ASD relay.

c19290101449c6f60d5f2e12dfddc0aa.jpg

That sounds like no bueno... I'd be willing to bet that could be what's popping your fuse to the radio circuit too?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I sent the engine harness back to Hotwire for them to fix it (they say they know what was wired incorrectly). So while they have it ....

I decided to open my wheel wells in the rear a bit and put the LJ fenders on (got then from Jeff). It should help a bit with the 35s

b7a7c6e2b331a5d6cad426f95e89560a.jpg

a4fa31f66aaea2dd2caf130fc7ab9dbc.jpg

• Like 2

The reworked engine harness came back last night. So I got up early this morning to install it before work. Turned the key and VROOM!!! It made me very happy.

Now onto making sure that the lights all work.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, gr8dain said:

The reworked engine harness came back last night. So I got up early this morning to install it before work. Turned the key and VROOM!!! It made me very happy.

Now onto making sure that the lights all work.

That's awesome Dain! Did they say what exactly was wrong with the harness? 

That's awesome Dain! Did they say what exactly was wrong with the harness? 

Yes. They had the power wire from the bulkhead connector to the computer tied to the “run” power feed rather than the “run/start” feed.

Unfortunately, after it started on Thursday morning and then at lunch, I cannot get it to start now. No power is getting to the starter when turning the key to start. I just checked the ignition switch. That is not it. And the fuses all test fine. So now I start chasing my tail again. Always fun.

But my Barnes 4wd trans crossmember/skid came today so I can flatten my tummy now.

I will get this damn thing to start. I have to. I have places to wheel this year.
  • Like 1

Put a jumper wire to the NSS connector and it fired up. So I know what the problem is. Just to decide if I get a new one or permanently jump it. The lazy redneck in me says jump it forever. The safety conscious adult says get a new one. Damn things are $280.

• Like 2

Put a jumper wire to the NSS connector and it fired up. So I know what the problem is. Just to decide if I get a new one or permanently jump it. The lazy redneck in me says jump it forever. The safety conscious adult says get a new one. Damn things are $280.

$280 for a NSS?? Holy hell. I’m so used to driving a manual, so no NSS to deal with

• Like 1

New muffler installed this morning. Then started working on my wiring to the lights.

Gave up on the wiring. It is not my thing. I need “pro” help. So I went and took it for a drive and adjusted the TV cable to see if the shift points improved.

At the gas station I discovered that my sending unit was not tightened down all of the way. Oops. Food thing I have the access panel!

But I will say that I am happy with the way it drives. I will have to get used to the auto though. I keep wanting to press a clutch pedal.

2255d6e814cc748a19259c919afefa0f.jpg
5eb60965f41aea8c5890850d7d3dc129.jpg
df5402064c870d4c87f1c2f7dbff6db3.jpg
4443f56c5ffa11a765e3bbf6a3a6128f.jpg

• Like 2

New muffler installed this morning. Then started working on my wiring to the lights.

Gave up on the wiring. It is not my thing. I need “pro” help. So I went and took it for a drive and adjusted the TV cable to see if the shift points improved.

At the gas station I discovered that my sending unit was not tightened down all of the way. Oops. Food thing I have the access panel!

But I will say that I am happy with the way it drives. I will have to get used to the auto though. I keep wanting to press a clutch pedal.

2255d6e814cc748a19259c919afefa0f.jpg
5eb60965f41aea8c5890850d7d3dc129.jpg
df5402064c870d4c87f1c2f7dbff6db3.jpg
4443f56c5ffa11a765e3bbf6a3a6128f.jpg

Too bad you’re not closer. I enjoy wiring. Will be doing work on a 92 XJ I built for a buddy 6yrs ago that’s got wiring gremlins from sitting

• Like 2

Too bad you’re not closer. I enjoy wiring. Will be doing work on a 92 XJ I built for a buddy 6yrs ago that’s got wiring gremlins from sitting

I wish so as well.

Big day for me. I made a lot of progress on the lights. I got the radio working again yesterday, which was super important.

But today I played hooky from work and played with the scrambler. I cleaned up a ground for the passenger headlight, swapped in a new hi-beam pedal, ran a new power feed to the brake pedal switch, swapped in a few new bulbs and found out that my turn signal flasher was destroyed by water. Switched it with the hazard flasher and now I have side and rear turn signals, but not the front. But tail lights and brake lights work, along with low and high beam and the front markers. Although the passenger marker is a little dim. So it may be a ground. And maybe that is causing them to not flash as turn signals. Anyway, I am very happy. Especially since I hate wiring.

70de17358996bf4ce62084ec29e8116d.jpg
cd0661e07cdb0f85d2620f0484f10a36.jpg
a7e548eb7ebafffc3fe3d236aa609e80.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this past Sunday I was driving about 45 mph on a main road when it seemed like my transfer case popped out of High gear. I limped it home in low. Got home monkeyed with it and rebent the twin sticks thinking the stick might have bumped the edge of the hole in the trans tunnel.

I took it for a test drive tonight. It happened again. The lever looked to be in the right place, and I popped it i to neutral and then back to High. Nothing. Then put it in low and moved pff the road. Put it back in high and it worked for the rest of the way.

This is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about driving it distances.

• Like 2

Well, this past Sunday I was driving about 45 mph on a main road when it seemed like my transfer case popped out of High gear. I limped it home in low. Got home monkeyed with it and rebent the twin sticks thinking the stick might have bumped the edge of the hole in the trans tunnel.

I took it for a test drive tonight. It happened again. The lever looked to be in the right place, and I popped it i to neutral and then back to High. Nothing. Then put it in low and moved pff the road. Put it back in high and it worked for the rest of the way.

This is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about driving it distances.

Was it twin sticked before the 4.0 swap?